Now that I've been going to the library more frequently with Kyle, I've been more inspired to read lately. I got a few books for myself that were hit and miss. Ape House by Sara Gruen was pretty good. Not as good as Water for Elephants, but the style of writing was the same and still an enjoyable read. The Love of My Youth by Mary Gordon, on the other hand...so boring! I declared that one a waste of my time and moved on to bigger and better things.
Literally. I spotted Les Mis out of the corner of my eye, while I was walking through Costco to get some milk and put it in the cart without a moments hesitation. It's over 1200 pages long! I'm right around page 60 and just getting introduced to Jean Valjean.
Kyle has been reading with his Leap Frog Tag Junior books that he got for Christmas. The system comes with a little electronic reader that you tap on each page and it reads the story aloud. Kyle loves the thing. It's the first thing he plays with in the morning. He uses it all day long and eventually I have to put it away at night so he can go to bed. He only has a few books for it so far, but he loves reading Mr. Brown can Moo, Can you? and If I were...
Tyler and I have been reading A Series of Unfortunate Events, a book series by Lemony Snicket. There are 13 books in all and we are right in the middle of The Reptile Room, the second book in the series.
In the first book, the three Baudelaire orphans are sent to live with a distant relative named Count Olaf. He's pretty nasty and spends all his time trying to get his hands on their fortune, which they don't even have access to until they become adults. Anyway, the kids end up outwitting him, but now he's back with a vengence in book 2. It's a nail-biter, that's for sure, but a little darker than I'd anticipated. After this one, maybe we should take a break and go back to the happy-go-lucky world of Henry Huggins.


